GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
Spiritual Gifts (Gk. pneumatika, derived from pneuma, "Spirit") refer to supernatural manifestations that come as gifts from the Holy Spirit operating through believers for the good of the body of Christ (Church). Such gifts strengthen spiritually the body of Christ and those in need of spiritual help and are direct manifestations of the working and presence of the Holy Spirit in the congregation. We will review those gifts and the scriptures related to them as we discuss this topic.
THE GIFTS OF GRACE: These are inward desires or dispositions as well as enablements or abilities given by the Holy Spirit to individuals in the Church to build up God’s people and express God’s love to others.
“Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith, or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teachings; or he that exhorteth, on exhortation; he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.” (Romans 12: 6-8)
SPIRITUAL GIFTS: These are supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit given to and through believers and are intended for the up-building and sanctification of the Church.
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body -- whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free -- and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. (1 Cor. 12:4-14)
MINISTRY GIFTS:These gifts work in the Church to prepare people for service and for the spiritual growth of the Church as God intended.
“Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?  Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?(1 Cor. 12:27-30)
A SUMMARY OF THE GIFTS ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES
THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1 Corinthians 12:4-14
1 Corinthians 12:27-30
Speaking in tongues
Interpretation of tongues
Speaking in tongues
Interpretation of tongues
1 Cor. 12:4-14 Gifts and descriptions:
· The message of Wisdom is a wise utterance spoken through the operation of the Holy Spirit. It applies the revelation of God’s Word or the Holy Spirit’s wisdom to specific situations or problems.
· Message of Knowledge reveals knowledge from the Holy Spirit about people, circumstances, or Biblical truths. It is closely associated with prophesy.
· Faith is the supernatural faith imparted by the Holy Spirit that enables the Christian to believe God for the extraordinary and miraculous. It is often associated with other manifestations such as healings and miracles.
· Gifts of Healings are given to the Church to restore physical health by supernatural means.
· Miraculous powers are deeds of supernatural power that alter the normal course of nature.
· Prophesy: As a ministry gift, prophesy is a temporary manifestation of Spirit to bring a word or revelation directly from God to proclaim God’s will and exhort and encourage God’s people to righteousness, faithfulness, and endurance.
· Spiritual Discernment is a Spirit given ability to properly discern evil spirits and to distinguish whether or not an utterance is from the Holy Spirit.
· Speaking in Tongues involve the human spirit and the Spirit of God intermingling so that the believer communicates directly to God.
· Interpretation of Tongues is the Spirit-given ability to understand and communicate the meaning of utterances spoken in tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:27-30 and Romans 12: 6-8Gifts and descriptions:
· Apostles are commissioned representatives (leaders) of a Church or ministry to fulfill God’s purpose and guarantee God’s continual blessing and presence within the Church.
· Prophets are gifted spiritual leaders who are uniquely gifted in receiving and communicating direct revelations from God from the Holy Spirit.
· Evangelists are God-called individuals who are gifted, appointed, and commissioned to proclaim the gospel of Christ and His kingdom to cities and unsaved individuals so as to awaken faith.
· Pastors are those individuals whose calling and ministry gifts cause them to devote themselves to shepherd, oversee, and care for their spiritual needs of a local congregation.
· Teachers are given special God-given gifts to clarify, expound and proclaim God’s Word with effectiveness and power in order to build up the body of Christ.
· Miracle workers have Spirit-given supernatural power to alter the course of nature, including driving out demons.
· Helpers have Spirit –given gifts for a variety of helpful deeds.
· Administrators are given Spirit-led gifts to guide and oversee the various activities of the Church.
· Givers are those gifted by the Holy Spirit to give freely of their resources to the needs of God’s people.
· Comforters are given Spirit-inspired gifting to give comfort by acts of mercy to people in distress.
· Encouragers have gifts that motivate other Christians to a deeper faith and dedication to “Christ, a fuller manifestation of the fruit of the Holy Spirit, and a complete separation from the world.
The degree to which these traits are manifested in the life depends upon the extent to which the Christian trusts the Lord with every detail of his life, and upon his maturity in Christ. One who is only beginning to understand the ministry of the Holy Spirit should not be discouraged if he is not as fruitful as more mature Christians who have known and experienced this truth for a longer period. Continue to let the Holy Spirit lead and guide you through daily fellowship and a devoted prayer and Church life.